Monday, December 1, 2008

Pantsless in Park Slope


Dear Charlie...
Recently, I lost a little bit of weight and since then, I've found that I have an awful time finding pants. Part of the problem is I don't know what to look for. When I was heavier, all I needed was something to distract from the man-boobs (lots of loud plaids, cut-offs mid thigh, etc.), but now that I feel good, I want to look good, too.

How should I go about finding the perfect pair?

- Pantsless in Park Slope


Dear Pantsless,

First of all, kudos on the weight-loss. As everyone knows, tackling extra weight (especially around the holidays) can seem like an impossible feat.

Most people who have dropped some extra baggage often have a skewed perception of what their actual size is after carrying additional weight for so long, so it's good to get remeasured so you know what to shop for.

Check out any major retail store that offers men's apparel, and a professional should be available to accurately measure your waist, leg width/length and inseam. If the idea of someone prodding around your legs in public makes you uncomfortable, pick-up your own tape at a local Hobby/Crafts Store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby) and follow these directions.

Once you have all the numbers, you shouldn't have a problem finding your size at any of your favorite stores. If one of the measurements is off, you can always call a tailor and have them alter the pants specifically for your body at a reasonably low price. You'd be surprised at what a difference a little tailoring can make!

It also never hurts to bring a savvy ladybird with you to offer some commentary and we're pretty sure she owes you for all the times you've waited patiently for her to try on 17 different outtfits on your shopping trips. Good Luck!

No comments: